Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Big Shot Organization

I've taken a bit of a blogging break, and honestly, it's been kind of great.  I haven't been feeling all that creative lately...the organizational side of me has taken over.  It seems that I can't be both at once, so when I'm feeling creative, I'm pretty messy!  Anyway, I've been cleaning out my house, and have gotten rid of more bags of stuff than I can count.  And there's still more!  But it's so nice to be rid of so much clutter.

As part of my organizing project, I tackled my stamp corner.  I've just had my Big Shot sitting on top of a card board box off to the side of my desk, with the dies, Framelits, and embossing folders in various other spots.  I really wanted everything to be together, and what I had going on just wasn't working for me.  I had a brilliant plan to use this IKEA cart to put everything on, but when I got to the store, I discovered that the bottom shelf was about 1/2" too short to fit things the way I wanted.  I was so sad, but I immediately started thinking of a way to get what I wanted.  Initially, I was going to build a cart.  But I wasn't really wanting to take on that project, so I decided to check out the thrift store.  And guess what...I found a little shelf that was the perfect size!  Better yet, it was really cheap.  I wanted to have a cart, though, not a shelf, so I needed to put wheels on it.  I removed the little wooden feet on the shelf and replaced them with wheels so I could pull it over to where I'm working (I store it on the side of my desk).  The hardware ended up costing about as much as the shelf did! 

As you can see in the picture, the Big Shot fits on top, at a perfect height whether I'm sitting or standing.  The bottom shelf holds two Large Die Boxes perfectly.  All my dies are in those boxes, along with a few other random items.

The second shelf holds a Medium Die Box full of embossing folders and a container that holds all my Framelits.

I don't like the packaging the Framelits come in, so I put each set in an empty clear mount case with a strip of magnetic adhesive to hold them in place.  Right now I have them all lined up in a plastic container, but they will also fit in one of the Large Die Boxes.  Eventually I'll get one to store them in.  For now, I kind of like having the labels easy to see from the side.  However, the container is full, so the next set I get won't fit in there.
So there you go, my handy-dandy Big Shot cart that is far more sturdy than the one I set out to get in the first place, and it cost me less!

Check back on Saturday when I'll finally have a new project to post!

1 comment:

  1. Looks great, April!! DIY on the cheap. That's the best!