Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Flower Folds Stitching

Want to see how I spent my weekend? Cute, huh?


I've been wanting to make a messenger bag for a while.  I homeschool my kids, and we often go on field trips to museums or other places that require walking around all day.  I tend to carry a very large purse, and it starts to hurt my shoulder and back after a couple of hours of lugging it around.  What can I say?  I like to always have a book with me at all times, plus my wallet is really a day timer that weighs a ton.  Throw in keys, a couple of notebooks, a small Bible, some Epi-pens, and various other items, and it adds up (and no, I don't always carry all these things with me on a field trip, but it still gets heavy!)  I thought that making a messenger bag that I could wear across my body would help tremendously on these field trips.  But I've only thought about making one, and haven't done it.  Until I saw my cousin after Christmas.  She had a super cute messenger bag that she had made.  She also had a super cute flower pinned to it.  So I decided to copy her. :)  And I'm so glad I did!

I love this bag.  The best part is that it cost me less than $10 to make, and that was only because I had to buy thread, zippers, and a magnetic snap.  I had tons of the heavier weight brown fabric laying around, waiting to be put to use in reupholstering a piece of furniture (who knows when that will actually happen!)  I wanted to use Stampin' Up!'s Spice Cake Designer Fabric for the lining and ruffle, but I didn't have enough.  So instead, I repurposed one of husband's old shirts.  It was a favorite of mine, so I'm glad I could give it a new life.

I even copied my cousin's flower.  I used the Flower Folds Die and my Big Shot and am thrilled with the result.  Oh, and the button in the middle...it came off my husband's old coat.  Yeah, we don't waste a lot around here. :)

Hope you enjoyed a peek at my latest sewing project.  My kids both want to make smaller versions for themselves, so more pictures are sure to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment