Monday, August 19, 2013

Truly Grateful Joy Fold Card

I've been wanting to do a Joy Fold Card at club for a long time.  I've had the instructions printed out and sitting on my desk for probably a year.  And when I sat down and thought about what to make this month, I realized that Truly Grateful was the perfect set for such a card. 

I like making cards with unusual folds...it keeps the recipient on their toes.  And it's always good to try new things, simply for the challenge of doing something new and different.  I've said before how I love Sweater Weather and Truly Grateful together, because they both just scream fall to me.  But since it's only August, I didn't want to make this card be too fall-ish...it's still summer, after all!  So the lighter tones in this particular plaid were perfect for this card.  I would never have thought to pair Crushed Curry and Soft Sky together on my own, but I LOVE how they look together!  See, another new thing for me to try!

In case you aren't familiar with Joy Fold cards, here's how they look when opened:

The layers unfold to create a really interesting card.  The little wood slice on the front is adhered with a Stampin' Dimensional, so that the smaller flap can be tucked in behind it to keep it secure.

Tips & Tricks
  • Use a Stamp-a-ma-jig!  That's how I was able to line up the woodgrain image...it's not big enough on it's own and needs to be stamped twice.  I'm pretty good at eye-balling, but this one requires the SAMJ! 
  • Stamping Chocolate Chip ink on watercolor paper or Naturals White card stock allows you to watercolor without additional ink!  Just use an Aquapainter and pull ink from the image you've stamped.  It's OK for the image to bleed this time!
Measurements
  • Chocolate Chip (card base) ~ 4 1/4" x 8 1/2"; score at 5 1/2"
  • Soft Sky ~ 3" x 8"; score at 4"
  • Crushed Curry DSP ~ 4" x 5 1/4"
  • Plaid DSP ~ 4" x 2 3/4"
  • Chocolate Chip (top layer) ~ 3 3/4" x 2 3/4"
Supplies
  • Stamps:  Truly Grateful
  • Ink:  Chocolate Chip
  • Paper:  Chocolate Chip, Soft Sky, and Naturals White card stock, Sweater Weather Designer Series Paper 
  • Accessories:  Aquapainter, 1 3/8" Circle Punch, Simply Scored Tool, Decorative Label Punch, Linen Thread, Sponge

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the cut and score measurements! It was fun to make.

    ReplyDelete