Monday, October 5, 2009

Now for Some Stuff I Like

Still losers, but winners in my eyes.  I loved the cards that I submitted.  I tried to use techniques and items that I don't normally use, which is part of the reason I'm proud of these. 

The first one is my Christmas card from last year.  I used Old Olive cardstock for the card itself.  The tree (and everything else) is from the Snow Swirled stamp set.  I love that set!  I used Old Olive and Real Red markers to color directly on the stamp, then stamped it on Whisper White cardstock.  The "star" at the top is the little snowflake from the set, stamped in silver.  It's nearly impossible to see, but I edged the white cardstock with a sponge dauber rubbed in the Old Olive pastel.  That piece is then mounted on Read Red cardstock and Brushed Silver cardstock.  I also stamped random snowflakes on the Old Olive card front with VersaMark.  The white snowflakes you see are stamped randomly (well, not randomly, but it's supposed to look that way!) on a clear window sheet with white Stazon ink.  I punched two holes at the top, through the window sheet and OO card, then threaded Read Red 5/8" grosgrain ribbon through them for the bow.  I really liked this card, which is why I decided to include it in my submissions, rather than reinvent the wheel.  Again, simple, but with a wow factor.

This card is another favorite.  OK, they are all favorites.  I used the now discontinued Doodle This stamp set for this card, along with the coordinating Doodle jumbo wheel.  I stamped it onto watercolor paper with Chocolate Chip craft ink, then embossed it with clear embossing powder.  Then, using Watercolor Wonder crayons and my aquapainter, I watercolored the flower and stem.   There is a jumbo eyelet in the center of the flower, and behind that, a little 1/2" circle of More Mustard card stock.  I used my Big Shot and Top Note die to cut out the white and More Mustard layers.  There is also MM pastel dabbed onto the watercolor paper around the edges.  The Old Olive strip was punched with the scallop edge punch, and is stamped using the wheel (above) and VersaMark ink.  The other card stock colors are Chocolate Chip and Elegant Eggplant.  Ribbon is 5/8" OO grosgrain.  This was the first card I made for this contest, and was so happy with the way it turned out.  It's a fairly large card...roughly 6"x6".  A fun size to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment